Friday, June 3, 2011

New lens in my kit - AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED...

I pulled the trigger last week and put in an order for a AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR
105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
. I've been considering getting a Nikon Micro (macro to everyone else) lens for quite some time.

The closest focusing lens that I currently have is the AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR which has a Maximum Reproduction Ratio of 0.25x. The Micro-NIKKOR 105mm will get you to 1:1 (Maximum Reproduction Ratio of 1.00x).  Although the 16-35mm does a great job, I wanted to get closer.

Anyway, here's the rational for my purchase...

1. Although I already have a 85mm f1.4 the 105mm can do double duty as a portrait lens.
2. It's a Micro-NIKKOR and focuses to 1:1!
3. It will be the second modern lens (with AF-S, VR and N coat) added to my kit.
4. I considered getting the AF Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8D ED but I have an older 80-200mm f/2.8 AF (non-D) that is still hanging on (the aperture blades are sticky but otherwise works well).

Here are the un-boxing photos.  As usual, Nikon packaging is very nice, and the lens is well protected in the box.  Included with the lens are the Bayonet hood (HB-38) and Flexible lens pouch (CL-1020).



The lens is boxed with the 62mm Snap-on front lens cap (LC-62) and Rear lens cap (LF-1). The instruction manual, NikonUSA 5-year warranty registration, and warranty form are also included in the box.  I purchased a B+W UV-Haze filter to protect the front element. 


I did a quick set up with my SB-600 to check that everything was in order.



I'll post more photos when I get this lens out in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment